April 11, 2020
By: Kayla Law, RTC
At this time more and more of us are having to figure out ways of being with ourselves and our loved ones. Some of us are confined to being alone. Others cannot be alone at all right now.
At this time we need compassion for ourselves as we navigate through a period of time that we have never experienced before. I hope these 10 tips will help release some stress for you while you’re staying home in isolation, and allow you to find some ease within your life.
Here they are — take what resonates and leave the rest.
- Get outside to take the dog for a walk, or your kids for a walk. Just get outside even for 5 minutes on the balcony can be supportive. This space can be so helpful.
- Take 3 deep breaths before responding. Try to breathe so you feel both sides of your torso expand – and hold for a moment at the top then release the breath. This will help your entire nervous system to release.
- Listen to your partner or family member. Get curious about what is happening for them in the middle of all of this. Can you remember they are on your team? Get curious about your own reactions as well, notice what is happening for you.
- Talk it out. In our world it has been so easy to “let things go” but in that letting go we hold on to things that bug us. To only have them come out down the line in a fight. Can you let them in on how you are feeling? And after you share can you ask them how they are feeling? We can be surprised by the answers sometimes.
- Do something kind for your partner, family member or neighbour.
- Take an online movement class together – there are so many free classes!
- Dance it out – turn on your favorite music and dance with yourself – with your dog, with your kids and with your partner! Shake it all out!
- Keep track of this time with a journal. Either online or written with pen and paper. Write out what is in your head. What has gone well? What has been a struggle? Give it all a place to land.
- Make a meal from scratch. Get creative.
- Take one moment from your day and create a ritual for yourself. For example, before you talk to anyone else or help anyone else – you make your coffee/tea/ drink of choice and sit down for 5 minutes and look out the window. Allow yourself to day dream. Another option would be having a shower in the morning. Anything really – just make it yours. It’s time for you – just YOU.